Let your GPS guide you on an adventure through South Park's stunning landscapes, rich history, and pristine natural resources. Whether you are exploring the wonders of the backcountry or touring our historic communities, Colorado's South Park GeoTour has something for everyone!
The South Park National Heritage Area has placed 75 geocaches throughout South Park and is awarding prizes to geocachers that find 20 or more caches. Learn more about our caches and prizes below!
View our geocaches and sign up for our GeoTour Newsletter!
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a high tech, outdoor adventure game that uses handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to find hidden treasures. These “treasures” are called geocaches and are placed at unique places for others to visit. Geocache containers come in all shapes and sizes and contain a logbook and sometimes special prizes for trading. Geocaching began in 2000 and has since gained widespread popularity with an estimated 5 million geocachers worldwide. There are currently geocaches on all seven continents and even on the International Space Station. Getting started with geocaching is easy, simply go to Geocaching.com and sign up for a free membership then start searching for nearby caches!
About Our Geocaches
Our geocaches are placed over 1,700 square miles of Colorado’s South Park, located a short drive from the metropolitan areas of Denver and Colorado Springs. Each of the geocaches’ pages on Geocaching.com contains a brief description of the historic site, natural resource, or scenic vista featured by the geocache. The geocaches come in a variety of sizes from “micro” to “large” and contain a logbook, a 5-digit code, pencil, and pencil sharpener. All of our geocaches also contain swag that you can trade for other items. Our geocaches are located on a variety of terrain levels and not all geocaches should be attempted by everyone. Please familiarize yourself with these safety tips and essential gear so you can stay safe and have fun while geocaching!
- Find 20 South Park geocaches to receive a South Park t-shirt. ONLY S LEFT IN STOCK!
- Find 30 South Park geocaches to receive a t-shirt and a collectible Colorado’s South Park Geocoin, trackable on Geocaching.com!
- Find 50 South Park geocaches to receive a t-shirt, a collectible Colorado’s South Park Geocoin, and a National Heritage Area Geocoin.
- Find 75 South Park geocaches to receive a t-shirt, a collectible Colorado’s South Park Geocoin, a National Heritage Area Geocoin, and a Park County Geocoin.
How to Claim Your Prize
- Register your username at Geocaching.com
- Download and print a GeoTour Passport
- Find a South Park geocache and write down the 5-digit code in your passport
- After you find enough geocaches, fill out the form on the back of your passport and mail it to:
South Park National Heritage Area
PO Box 1373
Fairplay, CO 80440
5. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of prizes
- Prizes can only be requested by mail with a completed GeoTour Passport.
- You must sign the physical cache log for each geocache you find to be eligible.
- Only fully completed Passports are valid to receive prizes.
- Prizes are subject to change and are only available while supplies last.
- Keep a copy of your passport in case it gets lost in the mail.
Terms and Conditions
Prizes are awarded in the order that they are received, while supplies last. Completed passports will be kept on file and multiple passports may be submitted for additional prizes. Only one of each prize type will be awarded per username. Park County is not responsible for passports lost in the mail. South Park National Heritage Area reserves the right to limit or revoke this offer at any time. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
South Park National Heritage Area would like to thank the South Park Ranger District
, Park County
, the South Platte Ranger District
, Eleven Mile State Park
, the community of Guffey
, the Hartsel Fire Protection District
, and the towns of Fairplay
for their support of this project. We would also like to thank the business owners that allowed us to place geocaches on their property, including the Como Depot & Eating House
and Mountain Light Real Estate
. Lastly, thank you to our volunteers that assisted in placing and maintaining our geocaches.
Have an idea for a geocache? Let us know